Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Tell Me Lies, Tell Me Sweet Little Lies


Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive.  Remember that line?  Seems like there are all sorts of people in my midst who never learned the moral of that story.  Perhaps more of them should re-watch Pinocchio and aspire to "be a real boy".  And for the record-- there are no white lies, exaggerations are lies, omitting pieces of truth to a story or situation is a lie, hiding the truth is a lie, betrayal of a persons trust and confidence is a lie.... the list can go on and on.   



I have told lies in my past.  I also HATE that part of my past.  I generally got caught and was in trouble for it.  I finally got to a point that if I'm going to get in trouble anyway-- I may as well just get the truth out and get it over with. Now I am at the point, personally, that I am almost too honest. 

Here's the funny thing about deception-- it absolutely kills trust.  It kills relationships between friends, siblings, marriages, parent/child relationships, etc.  Each and every lie you get caught in defeats the apology that was given for the time before.   I forgive a person who apologizes, but when I am lied to repeatedly-- it gets very hard to forgive and forget.  Being lied to and betrayed insults my intelligence.  Why not just look at me and say, "You are too stupid to ever find out the truth."?  



If you are going to be involved in my life at all-- do not betray me, do not lie to me, and do not apologize if you have no intentions of changing.  It may take some time, but I WILL ALWAYS learn the truth.  When I start to pull away, and you wonder why-- think back to all the deceptions and betrayals, the little white lies and then assume I have learned the truth. 

Right now may be a good time to confess to anyone you have lied to or betrayed.  They probably already know, but if you go to them about it, there may be hope to salvage whatever relationship you damaged. 

No comments:

Post a Comment